Sunday, March 4, 2007

My Screen Resolution is Stuck At 1024x768/800x600/something-else-ridiculously-low!

(Note: I was using an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT graphics card and a 19" HP L1906 monitor when I had this problem, so results may be best if your stats are similar.)

Problem:
You have Kubuntu (or any other 'buntu) installed but you seem to be stuck at a less than optimal resolution for your monitor. Going into System Settings to fix it doesn't present you with an option for a higher resolution.

Resolution: Reconfigure xorg. Go to a terminal/konsole and type: sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg. You can also do this from Recovery Mode if you wish. One of the first things it will ask you is what drivers you wish to use; this will be different depending on things like your video card but for me I found that I had to use nvidia, and not nv or vesa. So choose that (or whatever driver you need) and then follow along with the reconfiguration, choosing defaults or leaving things blank unless there is something specific you need to change.

Towards the end you will get to a point where it asks you what kinds of screen resolutions you want to use. Choose the ones you want to use by arrowing down to them and pressing spacebar to select them. Press enter to continue with the configuration until it's done. Reboot your computer (sudo reboot works) and when you get back in you should be able to choose the resolution you want from System Settings->Display. You might have to change some more settings after that (so it's set at 60Hz, for example, if your monitor is optimized for 1280x1024 and 60Hz) but it should work.

If you are using an Nvidia card you may notice that the "wait cursor" flickers when something is loading. As far as I am aware, this can be fixed by downloading newer drivers direct from Nvidia. I'm afraid I can't help with that though, because I decided it didn't irritate me enough to go bother myself with that yet. If you do need help you can probably find it on Ubuntu Forums or LinuxQuestions.

No comments: