Sunday, March 4, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome, one and all, to my Kubuntu Newbie Guide. I'm Stephanie, but you may call me Pike.

This post is going to address some questions that you may have. Like, for example, why I'm starting yet another 'buntu help guide when there are already so many 'buntu help guides out there. Well, here are my reasonings:

  • Most of those guides are aimed at Ubuntu and not its cousin, Kubuntu. Yes, the two are very similar, and most problems you come across in Kubuntu can be solved by following directions for Ubuntu. But sometimes you will stumble across minor differences that you have to know how to work around, and I think this might be a little intimidating for some newbies.
  • I've stumbled across many odd little problems on my conversion to Linux, and hours of thorough Google searching often turned up little or nothing. So it is my hope that anyone in the future who comes across these "odd" problems will at least have this blog show up in their Google search.
  • Finally, I absolutely love Linux and what it stands for and I really want to give back to this community. If I can guide at least one newbie in their pursuit of computing freedom than I will have helped, if even ever so slightly.
And that's about it. Before I jump into any real help posts I would like to say that I use Kubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake", so if you are using 6.10 "Edgy Eft" there may be some slight differences, but nothing major. (I do recommend trying Dapper Drake first if you are completely new to Linux; it tends to be more stable. You can always upgrade later if you choose.) Also, the fundamentals of most of these fixes should theoretically work with the other 'buntu flavors: Ubuntu, Xubuntu, et al.

Other resources you may want to check out if you need help include the Ubuntu Forums and psychocats.net's Ubuntu Linux Resources. These have both been great helps to me.

Well then, let's get started!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am trying to contact you to discuss more on this and WoW related stuff.
Please reply me at nick533@gmail.com

Thanks
Nick