Monday, March 5, 2007

Xfce died/disappeared!

Okay, so I know this is supposed to be a Kubuntu (KDE) help guide, but I like to mess around with other desktop environments too and as I've stumbled across this problem today I figured I would post it here in case anyone else has this problem as well.

Problem: When logging into Xfce (Xubuntu) none of the panels or desktop icons show up on the desktop. You get a blank screen with the mouse cursor, which you can move around, but there is nothing for you to click. You really can't do anything except log out (probably by way of your computer's power button)

Solution: When you log into Xfce, press Alt+F2. You may have to hold it down for a bit if nothing happens. You may see a box pop up but then disappear after a split second; try pressing Alt+F2 repeatedly several times in a row in order to get that box to stay up. Once you get the box up, type xfce4-panel-- make sure "Run in Terminal" is NOT selected-- and hit okay. That should bring your panels back.

To bring your icons back, go into Applications->Settings->Desktop Settings and click "Allow Xfce to manage the desktop" and make sure your Desktop Icons (under the "Behavior" tab) are set to something besides "None". That should bring all your stuff back-- at least, that's what worked for me!

I have heard of people having further problems with this issue, in fact I've heard that Xfce is still sort of buggy in this area and a lot of people have to deal with disappearing panels and stuff. Fortunately once you know how to do the fix you should be good to go.

1 comment:

Wonderboy™ said...

Ah, yes. I recall having a similar problem with Fluxbox about two months ago. Clearing the data from the ./xfce (or in my case, the corresponding fluxbox folder) seems to undo whatever caused the problem.